Why take NSAIDS for pain relief and increase your risk of heart attack, stroke, and liver damage when you can get the same results from a natural anti-inflammatory supplement without side effects? NSAIDS are non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as aspirin, ibuprofen, diclofenac, and naproxen. These common household over the counter medications such as Advil, Motrin, Aleve, and others may seem harmless, but it turns out they can actually put you at risk.
Risks of Using NSAIDSÂ
Using NSAIDS for a long period of time can even cause bacterial overgrowth in the intestines called SIBO which can lead to digestive problems as well as chronic illness. NSAIDS also contribute to increased gut permeability which means that your intestinal walls become rough, torn, inflamed, and frayed and proteins can permeate the walls and enter your bloodstream.Â
Other risk factors associated with taking NSAIDS include:Â
- Interference with antidepressant efficiencyÂ
- Associated with damaging joint cartilage and causes gut and kidney damage
- Depletes folic acid, B6, B12, vitamin C, calcium, and magnesiumÂ
Using NSAIDS occasionally shouldn’t be a problem, however becoming reliant and using them too regularly is when they become problematic.
Alternatives to NSAIDSÂ
Now that all of the risk factors have been presented you might be asking yourself what the alternative to taking NSAIDS is. There are actually plenty of natural supplements available at the Aspen Clinic that help with pain and inflammation and are not harmful to your body such as:Â
- White Willow Bark- Used for the treatment of pain, headaches/ migraines, and inflammatory conditions. The bark of the white willow contains salicin which is a chemical similar to aspirin.Â
- Turmeric- Also known as â€śIndian saffronâ€ť is a bright yellow spice that contains curcumin which is the active chemical that blocks certain enzymes and cytokines that lead to inflammation.Â
- Resveratrol- This polyphenolic compound is a powerful antioxidant with amazing anti-inflammatory properties. Resveratrol is a plant-based polyphenol molecule that can be found in the concentrations of many different plant sources. Resveratrol has also been found to have anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and DNA protective actions, when consumed by animals and humans.
- Epimedium Brevicornum- This plant has been used in Chinese medicine to treat a weak back and knees, joint pain, osteoarthritis, mental/ physical fatigue, memory loss, high blood pressure, heart disease, bronchitis, liver disease, HIV/AIDS, polio, and more.
Join The Aspen Clinic – We Have 9 Locations in Louisiana
The Aspen Clinic program is based on lifestyle changes, not temporary dieting. In summary, our program is designed to increase your metabolism and help you develop a new set of eating and activity habits. We will individualize your program according to your daily caloric needs to ensure that you are losing fat and avoiding the loss of lean muscle mass.
Visit any of our Aspen Clinic locations across Louisiana, Baton Rouge, Covington, Hammond, Harvey, Houma, Lafayette, Metairie, Prairieville, and Slidell, or schedule an appointment today to get started!